Tamil Literature dating back to Sangam age vividly describe about the forests and wildlife of Sathyamangalam forest area and its early history.
This area, which falls under Kongu country, was ruled by many rulers. Tippu Sultan who was ruling Mysore in 17th century laid two Chief Routes to Kongu country through the forests of Sathyamangalam. Remnants of such tracts in the forests bear witness even today. Tippu elevated the status of Sandal as “Royal Tree” and gave importance for forest protection.
In 1856, the Forest Department organized for the first time under the auspices of Dr. Cleghorn and Sathyamangalam, Talamalai and Bhavani were among the earliest areas to be brought under the control of the new department and were placed under in charge of Captain W.H.Morgan with the Head quarters at Ootacamund. Then Coimbatore North Division was constituted in April 1909 in which Sathyamangalam area falls part of it.
During 1980, the Sathyamangalam Division was formed. This division area was worked for fuel coupes since pre-independence period. In early 60s it was so vigorous and State’s fuel wood needs were met with the areas of this division to a larger extent.
To meet the timber needs selection felling coupes were worked in Minchikuli, Talamalai areas. Bamboo coupes were also worked up to 1981. Fuel coupes were stopped in 1975 and selection felling was stopped in 1980. These felling coupes have caused degradation and the habitats were disturbed. This huge disturbance is also quoted as one of the reasons for disappearance of Tigers in the region.